This topic covers all the steps to set up an EMIS Web Clinical Hub using EMIS Web Clinical Services. This will enable PCNs, GP Federations to deliver services such as Extended and Enhanced Access Services.
- Procure EMIS Web Clinical Services
- Obtain Prescribing Cost Centre & Spurious Code
- Create Smartcard Roles for new NACS Code (Prescribing Cost Centre)
- Enable GP Connect in EMIS (ask EMIS to activate endpoint on NHS Spine)
- Ask EMIS to enable PDS/EPS on NHS Spine
- Create and activate Data Sharing Agreements
- (Care Record, Cross Org Tasks, Cross Org Appointments (not needed for GP Connect), Consultation Write Back)
- Set up Online Test Requests/Path Links
- Set up Organisation Group for GP Connect Appointments
- Set up 111 Direct Booking
- Set up Cross Org Task Teams
- Link Mjog to EMIS Hub (if required)
- Purchase Docman Share and Configure (video)
- Activate National Slot Mapping (GPAD)
- Import Clinical and Document Templates
- Test GP Connect GP Practice Booking, EPS, Consultation Write Back and 111 Booking
- Enable appointment access for patients
- Configure Hub - Users, Appointment Books, Templates, Reports, Protocols....
Organisations may also want to complete a DPIA for records that will be held on EMIS Web Clinical Services. An EMIS DPIA template can be found here - DPIA Template
Procure EMIS Web Clinical Services from EMIS Web
Ask Emis Account Manager to generate a quote.
- EPS for Clinical Services (which includes PDS)
- EMIS Health Community Access to Spine – Summary Care Record Viewer (SCRv)
- GP Connect
Request organisation Prescribing Cost Centre Code (NHS Organisations)
STEP 1: The Integrated Care Board (ICB) need to complete a New Cost Centre proforma on behalf of the PCN to inform the NHSBSA that a new service has been set up. Access the form here.
STEP 2: Complete and send the spurious code request form (omitting the cost centre code field only). Please access the form here.
When filling in the form, please select ‘Generic spurious code for a new/existing cost centre/practice’.
A cost centre can only be set up on NHS Prescription Services’ systems if either a named doctor, a generically named spurious code or one or more non-medical prescribers are also added to the new cost centre at the same time.
STEP 3: All completed forms should be returned via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If the NHSBSA needs to query the information submitted, they will send an email to the original sender of the notification.
Independent Sector Healthcare Providers will need to follow the guidance here
For more information, please visit the NHSBSA website by clicking here.
See more about EPS in Clinical Services here.
Configure EMIS Organisation
When EMIS Clinical Services is ready, create a new System Administrator Account (Emis will provide a generic account). Populate both National Code and Authentication NACS with the new Prescribing Cost Centre Code (Yxxxxx). Inform EMIS.
EMIS will have to request NHSD to add the Prescribing Codes to their EPS list, which is normally a quick process but enables EMIS to then request end points.
Duplicate the remaining settings below:
Enable GP Connect
GP Connect will be required for Appointment Bookings from GP Practices and 111 Direct Booking. In Emis navigate to Configuration > Organisation Configuration and select GP Connect Configuration. Check GP Connect, Foundation and Appointments:
Create an Organisation Group for GP Connect Appointments
An Organisation group will be required to enable GP Practices to book into the hub via GP Connect. Using GP Connect means patients will not need to be traced into the hub. See [here] for more detail.
An Organisation Group will also need to be set up for 111 Direct Booking and ITK Messaging. See [here] for more detail.
Registration Authority – Create RBAC Positions
Work with Registration Authority to create new Smartcard Roles for new Organisation Code based on the National RBAC positions below. Ask RA to set up Sponsors for PCN/GP Federation. National RBAC Positions:
- System Administrator Role (R8015)
- Admin/Clinical Support Access Role (R8008)
- Clinical Practitioner Access Role (R8000)
Below is an example of Positions created by a Registration Authority for Enhanced Access:
Create Data Sharing Agreements
Complete DSAs for;
- 1 x Care Record (Hub can view patients GP Practice Record)
- 2 x CrossOrgTasks (Sending and receiving Tasks both ways)
- 2 x Cross Org Appointment (booking into Hub, booking back to Practice)
- 1 x Enterprise Appointments (Consultation Write Back)
Download and complete the Data Sharing Agreements (table below). The Data Controller required on the DSAs is usually the Practice or Business Manager at the GP Practice. Once completed email to email@example.com
|Data Sharing Agreement Description||Emis Description (Hub)||Emis Description (Practice)||DSA Purpose||Download DSA|
|QF1091 Many to One EMIS Web Care Record Sharing||Viewing other organisation's care record||Sharing my care record||Hub can view patients practice care record.||Download|
|QF1093 One to Many Emis Web Cross Org Tasks Agreement||Organisations allowing me to create tasks||Organisations creating tasks for me||Hub sends tasks back to patients practice||Download|
|QF1093 Many to One Emis Web Cross Org Tasks Agreement||Organisations creating tasks for me||Organisations allowing me to create tasks||Practice send Task back to Hub||Download|
|QF1092 One to Many Emis web cross org appointments configuration request||Sharing my appointments||Viewing other organisations appointments||Hub sharing appointment books with practices (not needed for GP Connect Appointments)||Download|
|WI8001 Consultation Write Back Request Form||Required for Remote Consultations or Consultation Write Back||Download|
Data Sharing Agreements can also be downloaded from the EmisNow portal here (you will need an EmisNow account).
With Consultation Write Back only 1 Care Record DSA will be required – One to Many – to enable Hub clinicians to see the patients GP Record.
Some organisations may wish to use Remote Consultations from within EMIS Web Clinical Services rather than sharing Care Records. However there are the following considerations taking this approach:
- No Spine services are available within a remote consultation (i.e EPS)
- No online test requests are available within a remote consultation
- No third party partner products are available within a remote consultation
- Clinical templates used during the remote consultation belong to the patient's registered organisation
An enterprise appointments agreement must be in place and activated by all organisations/GP practices associated with the agreement.
Any additions to an existing agreement, e.g. adding a new practice to an agreement, changing an agreement name to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
If the hub requires access to a Pathology service (Pathology, Radiology, Cytology, Imaging, Referrals...) within the Clinical Hub the Pathology lab will need to provide their ODS code and ICE/TQuest URL. Emis will also need to activate Pathology Links which has an annual cost of £750 per annum. You will need to request a quote:
One set up the Pathology lab will need to create users against the ODS code in EMIS (Y Code) and provide the credentials. In Emis, activate the Test Requests API (in EMAS Manager/Test Requests), create the provider and add users using credentials provided.
If there is no option to add a test request provider in EMAS Manager you will need to request this from email@example.com
If the hub requires access bloods to come back to the hub rather than the patients GP Practice then further configuration will be required. Click here to see the process.
Obtain Spine Dummy Patients from NHD
Request Spine Dummy Patients for SPINE testing such as EPS – Spine Dummy Patients can be obtained from NHS Digital by emailing – firstname.lastname@example.org. Spine Dummy Patients can then registered at a sharing GP Practice (as you do with a real patient) and then traced into the Clinical Hub for testing.
Complete the following configurations/set-up in the Clinical Hub
- Set up Users and ask them to login and associate their smartcards
- Upload or create Document Templates (2WW Referrals, Fit Note, Discharge Summary, etc...)
- Upload local Formulary (if required)
- Set up Task Teams on both hub and GP Practices for sending and receiving cross org tasks
- Create Appointment Book templates - configure for cross org booking if required
- Create Organisation Group and Appointment Books - 111 Direct Booking
- Create clinical templates and protocols if required (i.e. to capture outcomes, etc)
- Create Searches and Reports
Cross Organisation Booking for Consultation Write Back (no sound)
EMIS Web Consultation Write Back (no sound)
EMIS Now PCN Hub Knowledge page
Emis have also created a knowledge hub with lots of information on how to set up a PCN Hub in EMIS Clinical Services. The hub can be found here (you will need an EmisNow account).